13/08/2015

Ranking The Pixar Movies

Hello! Pixar movies are a huge part of so many people's childhoods, and bring something fresh to the world of Disney. 
However, there are some Pixar movies that are considerably better than other Pixar movies (sorry). Here's my ranking of the 15 Pixar movies, from 15 to 1, including the newly released Inside Out. 

15. Cars 2

I actually liked Cars, the first movie, yet Cars 2 seemed a bit unnecessarily OTT. So much happens that instead of being interested in the film, I found myself wandering off and doing my homework instead (I know, 2011-me was super cool). 

14. A Bug's Life

The thing about this film is that it really just doesn't stand out much, fair enough as a child it was a pretty cool movie, but now that I'm older it really doesn't appeal. Maybe it's because I despise bugs. Perhaps. However, Heimlich is my fave. Reminds me of myself, all those lumps. "Francis leave them alone. They are poo poo heads"

13. Monsters University

It's actually a fairly decent movie, it just wasn't as brilliant as the 13 others? I loved the 'development' on Mike, but Sully, or in this movie, James P Sullivan, came across as a total d-bag. I loved the humour, but it just didn't hit the right marks like the other Pixar movies. 

12. Cars

From 12 - 1, it's all difficult choices because I actually really like them all. However, while Cars was a childhood favourite of mine, on reflection it's not as iconic as I presumed. I must admit though, I love the concept and I loved the whole Route 66 thing. GG Pixar, GG. 

11. Ratatouille

Ratatouille is actually kind of gross, in a cute kind of way. Imagine having your food prepared by a rat. Oh heck no. I loved the whole atmosphere of this film though, and Remy is one of my favourite Pixar characters. 

10. Toy Story 2 

THE TOY STORY FRANCHISE IS AMAZING. However, Toy Story 2 had a tough act to follow considering how huge the first Toy Story movie was. It did well though, and it introduced us all to Jessie and Bullseye, who I find superb. 

9. Toy Story

I'm sure for others this would be ranked much higher, however this came out two years before I was even born. The story itself is touching, and the whole Toy Story franchise itself played on the relatively spooky idea of what happens to our toys when we're not playing with them. Still, Woody is my favourite Pixar character, and possibly one of my favourite Disney characters. Heck, I even have his costume (which I have actually worn... for Rag Week and family parties I swear) and his fairly rare Pop Vinyl. I vividly remember my Sheriff Woody toy I had as a child, it was my favourite thing and then I lost the hat and my world was destroyed. Life was hard as a child. 

8. Brave

I'm really fond of Brave. The film opened my eyes to the wonderful world of media, and is one of the films that has spurred me on in my journey of creating my own films and TV shows. The thing about this film is that it's the first Disney Princess who doesn't get married and is frightfully against the concept of being a Disney Princess, even though, well, Merida is indeed a Disney Princess. It crossed boundaries and broke tradition, which is why it's so iconic.

7. Toy Story 3

Goodness me, this film broke me. It was initially planned to be the final goodbye to the lovable toys before Toy Story 4 was confirmed to be released in 2017. However, it was the toys who were in fact saying goodbye to their owner, Andy. The scene when they're all in the furnace and they're holding hands face to face with death. OH THE FEELS. Lotso though, oh heck no such a nasty bear. 

6. Inside Out

This film gives children a chance to understand the complexity of their emotions, fitting for children and adults alike. It's feel good, emotional and crosses boundaries to tell a brilliant story. All the characters are lovable in their own ways, and the partnership of Joy and Sadness is one that is fresh and simply to see in a Pixar movie. 

5. The Incredibles

WHERE'S MY SUPERSUIT? This film is iconic, and actually fits in just as well with the DC films and Marvel films. The long-awaited sequel is coming and I could not be more excited (other than Finding Dory, that's going to be a big one). The family dynamic (with extra Frozone and Edna Mode) is really fun, and the film is essentially a parody of superhero films, but better. Mr Incredible reportedly is similar to Hulk and The Thing, ElastiGirl is most definitely similar to Mr Fantastic, Violet bears resemblance to the Invisible Woman, Dash is similar to The Flash/Quicksilver, and Jack Jack is mostly similar to Human Torch but culminates a huge amount of superheroes to prove how young people and unlimited opportunites.

4. Monsters Inc

This. Film. Was. My. Childhood. I would watch this film more than twice a week, I love the pairing of Sully and Mike, Boo is hilariously adorable, the supporting cast are brilliant. It's simply a good film. Randall, the villain, actually terrified me as a child, and Roz reminds me of many teachers I have been taught by during my years at school. In fact, for a film about monsters, it's actually quite relatable.

3. Wall-E

This film is emotional, fun and inspiring. Wall-e, the main character, a rusty little robot, and Eve, a badass, surprisingly clean, robot, fall in love and save the world. The cinematography of this film itself is a huge reason why it ranks so high, the scenery of Earth and the visuals of space are incredibly admirable. 

2. UP

Goodness me this film is a tear-jerker. The opening 10 minutes itself features the introduction, marriage, and death of ONE couple, leaving old Carl alone longing to fulfill Ellie's dreams. Put lovable Russell in the mix, and a flying house with balloons as well as a talking dog, and you get UP. This film challenges conventions, and spurs on the realistic factor of dreams and ambitions to truly appeal to children and adults alike. 

1. Finding Nemo

Here is why I think Finding Nemo is the best Pixar film of all time (so far); Ellen Degeneres as Dory is brilliant, the tank gang provide a fresh look at 'fish', the journey of Marlin and Dory finding Nemo is inspiring and heart-warming. The film itself is all about identity, with Marlin's journey ultimately telling the story of letting your children do their own thing, allowing Nemo to have independence and develop his own identity. This is an important message for adults, and a fun story for children. Finding Dory is set to release in the next year or so, and is set to tell the story of Dory discovering herself and reconnecting with her lost family, thus we can assume that the sequel will indeed be a tear-jerker and fun film with a truthful and important message for everyone to read.


Thanks for reading, how would you rank the Pixar films? Let me know in the comments, or tweet me @TotallyCulture. 



Bye for now, check back on 17th August for a slightly different post, in honour of The Great British Bake Off.


BYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

No comments:

Post a Comment